Balcony Garden in Florida

Do you love plants, but don't have a yard? If you have a balcony or patio area, you can grow a beautiful container garden. The key is to select plants that will grow well in the conditions you have and respect their needs.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Easter Lilies, a seasonal treat or year round addition to the garden?

I recently received a gorgeous Easter Lily as a gift.  These lilies are very fragrant and the flowers reach unreal sizes.  It was a beautiful centerpiece for our Easter dinner.  After Easter I placed it in my balcony garden to watch the remaining blooms open slowly over the coming weeks.
Lilies are grown from bulbs.  They flower in the Spring and go dormant for the rest of the year.  Since I live in South Florida, there is no frost.  I began to wonder if I get this Lily to bloom again.  I did a little research and found that it is possible, though it isn't easy.  After the bloom has finished and all of the green has died, you are left with the bulb.  It should be planted deep in a well draining soil with plenty of room for the roots and fertilized monthly with an all purpose 10-10-10 fertilizer.  With luck, it may bloom again in the late summer.  It is difficult to force plants to bloom a second time that were grown indoors, I'm not sure if I have the patience for this.  I would be interested to know if any of you  have successfully accomplished this.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Search Engine Optimization and SEO Tools