Balcony Garden in Florida

Do you love plants, but don't have a yard? If you have a balcony or patio area, you can grow a beautiful container garden. The key is to select plants that will grow well in the conditions you have and respect their needs.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Purple Flower on Mint lends a Clue to its Identity

There are 25 different varieties of mint.  When you go to your local nursery, they will often simply label the plant as mint.  If you are fortunate, they will include the tag with the latin name which will pinpoint the exact variety of mint.  If you are not, you may have to do a little detective work.  I photographed the leaves and looked at different varieties of mint online to try to find a match, but the leaves of the mint plant are very similar and I did not find my answer.  Today, however, I found something that unlocked the secret of my mint variety.  As I was watering, I noticed a tiny purple flower.
A search on the internet looking for this type of flower growing on a mint plant leads me to believe that this may be Menta Arvensis this is commonly referred to as "wild mint" and has pale purple or white flowers.  The leaves can be used to flavor tea or sauces.  Wild mint is a perennial plant.  A perennial plant lives for more than two years, as opposed to annual plants which live through the course of a year and must be replanted at the end of the year.  Mint tends to spread with invasive vines that can take over a garden if planted in the ground.  It is perfect for a hanging pot in my container garden.   I hope to have many more flowers and lush vines of mint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Search Engine Optimization and SEO Tools