Balcony Garden in Florida

Do you love plants, but don't have a yard? If you have a balcony or patio area, you can grow a beautiful container garden. The key is to select plants that will grow well in the conditions you have and respect their needs.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Feeding my Bougainvillea

I've read that bougenvillea will flower more and grow larger when they receive proper nutrients.  I have purchased a special bouganvillea food called BGI Bougain.
On the packaging you can see the ratio, 6-8-10.  This means that the fertilizer is a mixture of 6% nitrogen, 8% phosphorus and 10% potassium.  This combination is ideally suited for bouganvilla.  The fertilizer is in the form of pellets.  For my size of pot, I'm to add 2 Tablespoons of the pellets to the top soil and water thoroughly every month.

I have two bouganvilla plants, pictured below.  I purchased these two plants in the middle of one of the coldest spells in Florida since the 1970's.  Bougainvillea are unaccustomed to cold weather and will protest by dropping leaves and going dormant.  As I result I haven't seen much growth in these bougainvillea in the short time that I have owned them.  I hope to change that today.  Below are my two bougainvillea plants.  Since bougainvillea prefer drier soil, I have planted them in coconut husks to allow for maximum drainage.  Typically I keep them in heave Mexican clay planters, however when watering I transfer them to buckets to allow for maximum drainage.  I have just added 2 TBS of fertilizer to each and watered thoroughly.  I hope to see a lot of growth over the next few months.  I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Curry said...

I bought a bouganvillea last summer nd it was doing great... then the winter came along and I think it probably died. I´ll try to find that special food and see ifI get any results. Thanks for the tip!

April 7, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Search Engine Optimization and SEO Tools