Balcony Garden in Florida

Do you love plants, but don't have a yard? If you have a balcony or patio area, you can grow a beautiful container garden. The key is to select plants that will grow well in the conditions you have and respect their needs.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thirsty Cilantro Plant

While every plant is different, I've generally found that it's best to water a plant thoroughly once a week and then leave it alone the rest of the week.  Some of the herbs seem to require watering twice a week.  I've noticed that my cilantro plant is very thirsty.  Only two days after watering the stems of the cilantro wilt dramatically, as pictured below. 
After a thorough watering and just one afternoon, the stems begin to lift and the cilantro begins to look like itself again.
 A friend suggested that this might be a result of the method I use to water the plant.  I have potted this plant in well draining soil in a terra cotta pot with a hole in the bottom.  When I water this plant, I bring it to the sink to allow the water to drain through it.  After it stops dripping I return it to the saucer and it's rightful place in the garden.  The water is draining through the soil faster than the roots can absorb it.  This past week I corrected the problem.  I watered the plant outside, leaving it in its saucer.  I allowed the saucer to fill with water and let it sit in the saucer until it absorbed all of the water--approximately two hours.

Two days later my cilantro plant was looking healthy.  I will water this plant twice a week and see if it likes that watering schedule.  Cilantro is in the parsley family and requires a lot of water and sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Search Engine Optimization and SEO Tools