Balcony Garden in Florida

Do you love plants, but don't have a yard? If you have a balcony or patio area, you can grow a beautiful container garden. The key is to select plants that will grow well in the conditions you have and respect their needs.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Harmless Pests in the Garden

While some pests can be harmful to people or plants, some are benign or may even be helpful.  Anole lizards for example will eat mosquitoes or other bugs in the garden.  Other pests are smaller and will often arrive as hitchhikers on a plant purchased at a nursery.  I received a new snail on my sage plant.
 I have also found some slow moving flat worms around the garden.  I haven't identified these worms yet, but they appear to be benign.

These worms have excellent camouflage abilities.  They have a sticky surface that picks up dirt and debris from their surroundings.  They wear specks of their surroundings on their back like a turtle and move only their head dragging their shell behind.  My cat was fascinated with this little worm, as it appeared the floor was moving.  I don't know if they are poisonous, but I relocated him to a hedge outside just in case.  If you know the identity of this little worm, feel free to comment.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zytaris said...

I have recently found these, and surprisingly you are the only person thusfar whom I have found via google search who also has encountered these. I watched it, and did you know that they change direction by moving within the shell, and coming out of their other end through? It's fascinating me how this creature is, and how it gets around, and I wonder what is its purpose to the nature in life. I'm hoping someone has information about these neat creatures. I video taped a little of one,and a few pics with my cellphone, but the video of it didn't come out so clearly.

October 8, 2011 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Zytaris said...

Hello, I searched a bit more and learned alot of what these are. I share to you a link that explains all about them. Here it is: http://entnem.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/occas/household_casebearer.htm

enjoy :)

October 8, 2011 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Tonisson said...

Thank you for sharing this Zytaris. This is great information.

August 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Search Engine Optimization and SEO Tools