Balcony Garden in Florida

Do you love plants, but don't have a yard? If you have a balcony or patio area, you can grow a beautiful container garden. The key is to select plants that will grow well in the conditions you have and respect their needs.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Faith of a Nasturtium Seed

Planting from seed is much more difficult than cultivating small plants.  Not every seed will germinate and the seedling is much more delicate than an established plant.  I use my Aerogarden as a nursery for seedlings, but in the meantime I thought I'd try planting from seed the old fashioned way.  I'm planting this seed on the same day I planted by Aerogarden nursery so I can compare the progress.  I purchased Nasturtium seeds from my local garden center.

A Nasturtium is a beautiful flower vine, which was prominently featured in many of Monet's famous garden paintings.  All parts of this lovely plant are entirely edible except the roots.  The blossoms are often served as a garnish for a special meal or an accent to a colorful salad.  Young leaves and stems add a peppery accent to any dish.  Nasturtium seeds can be used like capers.

The seeds look like tiny brains and are very large seeds measuring approximately 1/4 inch.  Nasturtiums grow on a vine which can reach lengths of up to 6 feet.  These seeds should be planted about 1/2 inch deep and 12 inches apart.  I am germinating in a small pot and have decided to plant only one seed.  This is an incredible risk, as many of the seeds will not germinate.  The reason I have done this is because if it does germinate and I have two seeds in there, the pot will crowd and I will have to repot.  I have decided to have faith in this little Nasturtium seed.  According to the bible, if you have faith the size of mustard seed, you can accomplish great things.  If it doesn't germinate there are many more seeds in the packet and it is easy enough to start again.  We will know in approximately 2 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Search Engine Optimization and SEO Tools