Balcony Garden in Florida

Do you love plants, but don't have a yard? If you have a balcony or patio area, you can grow a beautiful container garden. The key is to select plants that will grow well in the conditions you have and respect their needs.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Growing Herbs Hydroponically

I love to cook with fresh herbs, but I'm not always able to grow the herbs I want on my balcony.  The solution is hydroponic gardening.  Hydroponic gardening allows you to grow plants in water and nutrients with no soil and any light conditions.  There are many devices on the market today which make it easy to grow fresh herbs inside your home.  I have been using an Aerogarden and have had several successful crops of fresh herbs.  I would highly recommend it to anyone who has difficult growing conditions.
The Aerogarden 6 is small enough to fit on top of a bookcase, but holds six different kinds of fresh herbs.  The grow light on the top of the unit allows you to grow herbs in any light conditions.  Simply fill with water, add seed pods and nutrients and watch your plants grow.  Every two weeks you will need to add nutrient tablets and refresh the water supply. 

Today is day one of my French Herb Garden.  The tiny clear domes will hold green sprouts in a few weeks.  I have planted:  Chervil, Sorrel, Marseille Basil, Sage, Savory and Parsley.  I will post updated photos as the plants grow.  I have never used Chervil or Sorrel in cooking, but I love French food and can't wait to try them.  If you have any recipes that use any of these herbs feel free to post them. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Search Engine Optimization and SEO Tools