Balcony Garden in Florida

Do you love plants, but don't have a yard? If you have a balcony or patio area, you can grow a beautiful container garden. The key is to select plants that will grow well in the conditions you have and respect their needs.

Friday, May 21, 2010

New Herbs Germinated in the Aerogarden

I used my Aerogarden, hydroponic herb grower, to germinate the seeds of several varieties of herbs.  These seedlings are now large enough to be planted in the garden.  I planted four varieties.  All of them sprouted with great success with the exception of the Nasturtiums.  Only two of the nasturtium plants grew from seed.  I've read that you can increase the odds of germination with the nasturtium seeds by filing an edge with a nail file.  Apparently the seeds have such a tough hull that the new seedling has difficulty breaking out.  I did not take this extra step, but it may have increased the odds.  While not many of the seeds germinated, two may be enough.  Nasturtiums are a fast growing vine that produces edible flowers.  The ones that germinated have done well.

 

The sweet basil grew into strong seedlings.  I have just planted these seedlings in a pot in my garden. 
I also had great success germinating the Italian Parsley.  This has been planted in a small pot in my balcony herb garden as well.

The thyme grew into a vine and became tangled in itself.  The vines are delicate, so untangling the mass can cause the vines to break.  I am concerned that the tangling may block some of the sunlight and prevent growth, but for now it is better for the seedlings to allow them to tangle.   It may untangle on its own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Search Engine Optimization and SEO Tools